Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

As a person with limited financial resources, it can be a challenge to come up with fun things to do on the weekends, etc. One weekend activity that Mr. Fight and I like best is go to yard sales and antique stores. We can look around for a while, see all the cool or weird stuff and find something small and inexpensive to bring home. We collect salt and pepper shakers, cigarette snuffers, thimbles, Wade figurines from Red Rose tea packages and any other chachka we can put on a shelf for the cats to break. Oh yeah, we like to look for shelves too!

We went to a garage sale recently, which was fun because it was actually in the person's garage, not out in the driveway.

I found quite a treasure!



It's such a cute recipe box! I am in no way Pennsylvania Dutch, but I live in "Dutch Country" and I love the PA Dutch Hex Signs with their folksy decorations. I have a couple of hex signs in my kitchen and this box obviously has that same appeal.

But wait there's more! The box was full of family recipes, along with funny old ones torn out of magazines or off very dated looking packages:


Now I can make you anything you want if you give me a box of cornflakes.

I can say with confidence that this box is from the late 1960's or early 1970's, since I found this torn out sheet from a calendar inside the box:


And you guessed it, there was a recipe written on the back! It sounds like it would not be my favorite snack, but I like keeping old recipes alive, so here it is. It's called "Rocks", sounds delicious, right? If you like dates, I guess it could be good.

"Rocks"

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar (brown or white)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in water
1/2 cup boiling water
1/2 cup black walnuts (chopped)
1 pound dates (cut up)


That's where the recipe ends, so I would assume that you just mush all that stuff together and eat it. I don't know what to tell you about those 3 raw eggs. Bon Appétit!

For more Wordful Wednesday visit:


5 Comments:

Kathleen W. said...

What an interesting find! I'm definitely going to go yard-sailing (pun intended) with you.

I can't believe the stuff that people ate in the 70s. I remember those weird photos in my mom's old cookbooks.

I've given you an award over at my blog, if you choose to accept!
http://thefightorflight.blogspot.com/

smariek said...

Hmmm... I'm not sure I'd make that recipe either.

Claremont First Ward said...

What a find. When we lived in MA we went yard saleing all the time. Absolutely LOVED it, and still do!

Anonymous said...

What a funny recipe. If you make it, you must post pictures of it!

Love your blog!

that chick said...

thrifting leads to clutter. clutter leads to decluttering. decluttering leads to taking stuff to the thrift store. going to the thrift store leads to clutter...

i'd call it a vicious cycle, but i sorta like it.

 

|