Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Wordful Wednesday

It's a winter wonderland!


Here's the snowy view from my front door (which is technically more of a back door since the road is on the other side of the house). The tiki torch looks somewhat out of place in the snow! You can see in the picture that I have a soccer field in my backyard (front yard?) which is nice because I've only seen a handful of soccer games in the entire time I've lived here and the rest of the time it's like I have a ginormous yard.

So because of the snow, I'm taking the day off work. My car is terrible in the snow and I get a bit white knuckled driving in poor weather conditions. I'll have to go in Friday, which sucks because I work Sunday-Thursday typically but I have so much stuff to get done at work since a big portion of my "desk time" has taken a backseat to getting everything ready for the upcoming Monet show. I have been helping install the corresponding children's area and it can be a real time suck. The good thing is that installing an interactive children's area is more fun than paperwork and reports for grants. The bad thing is that all that paperwork is still waiting for me.

I see that the Kraemer Yarn store has a knitting class at 1pm today which I may try to go to...though if I can make it to the store, I could have made it to work, right? I want to learn some of the other stitch patterns besides garter and stockinette because, 1. they're cool and 2. garter stitch is somewhat boring to do (yet perfectly nice and functional) and stockinette just isn't really suited for flat things. (Hello, curly tube!) I really like the ladies there and the "class" is more of a Stitch 'n Bitch that has someone there to fix all your mistakes and help you get through a tricky pattern. Of course the ladies there will teach whatever you want to know, but it isn't a structured class where you all make one thing. It's more like bring whatever you're working on and shoot the breeze. I can tell already that most of the ladies there are expert knitters who are really just socializing. Which is cool, because there are tons of people who can help you if the leader of the class is busy with another knitter.

The seed stitch is calling my name, so I may have to brave the elements.

For more Wordful Wednesday visit:


7 Comments:

Shala said...

Happy WW! I wish that we had that much snow on the ground, instead we have gotten only ice the past two days. It's slick and not near as pretty! The knitting class sounds fun, I should try to find one around here and learn some new things.

Unknown said...

We got to have a snow day here today too! YAY! I am so happy. We are still in our pajamas and it is almost 2. I think we might stay in these all day and change before bedtime : ). Every once in a while you need a day like this, right?

Claremont First Ward said...

It seems like everyone got dumped on the past few days!

Leslie said...

Yikes! That's a lot of snow. The tiki torches are a nice touch! hahaha...

Anonymous said...

I need a snow day. Or any reason to skip work, maybe just a Mental Health Day. There aren't any SnB's around me, very jealous over here. You go conquer that seed stitch!

cici said...

enjoy your day off. We had snow too. Hopefully it will all be gone by tomorrow. Cool blog you have here

Kathleen W. said...

Oh Lauren, I feel so bad for not visitin'! I totally feel your pain about going into work (ok, so you are probably at the opening now, or getting home). I hope it all went well, and I can't wait to see Artways. I'm going to try to come in for a visit this week. I need to get out of the house!

Glad to hear you might be taking a class at Kraemer's. I love their yarn!

 

|