Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Medium is the Message.

I'm on a shopping high! I just purchased two new Shepard Fairey prints and I am super happy. If you aren't familiar with his work, you should check out his website OBEY GIANT. You've probably seen it somewhere in the last twenty years:


Or you may be familiar with one of his most recent works:


While working in New Hope, PA in 2001 I purchased a Shepard Fairey print during a show of his work at Tin Man Alley, thanks to proprietor and curator Jonathan LeVine. Tin Man Alley has since moved to NYC and is now the Jonathan LeVine Gallery. So here is the print I bought in 2001 and have treasured ever since:



That one is a joint work between Frank Kozik and Shepard Fairey.

Frank Kozik is a well-known artist who specializes in concert posters. He and Shepard Fairey collaborated on a print in 2000 for their joint art show "Fuck Kozik and Giant" which took place on October 5, 2000 at Dept Inc. in Osaka, Japan.

This is it in my living room, shown off especially well by my awesome photography skills!



The other print I bought at Tin Man Alley was this one by Frank Kozik. I love this one. I think it rules. The glare on this photo, does not rule. But you get the idea. It's awesome. She's blind and in a wheel chair and this kid's giving her the ultimate F you! Take this spider AND this skull. Damn. That shit's harsh.


So I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat wondering which two new prints I bought! Here's the first one:

Awesome!
And here's the second one. I figured I needed an Andre. I like this ripped up one.

All the prints purchased from OBEY GIANT are signed and numbered too, which is cool.
Yay!!

3 Comments:

Kathleen W. said...

Chris and I love Frank Kozik's work, mostly from the Melvins albums we have. I'd love to get an actual print sometime.

I remember the Obey Giant stencils all over Philly back in my Philly days. I've always wanted to do something like that.

I personally prefer this type of graffiti

http://www.knittaplease.com/KNITTA_PLEASE.html

Lauren said...

Oh my god what a fantastic idea. Man knitters are cool.
Does the thing have to be knit onto the different "targets"-like the parking meters or other stuff to big to stretch the knit thing over?
I'm learning to knit! I can't be left out any longer!
Hey check out my friend Lindsay's crafty business-I think you'd like it!
http://www.withoutapulse.com/store/index.php

Kathleen W. said...

I think they must knit it at home and then sew it or graft it (by knitting) onto the object. I was wondering that myself.

I like her stuff, especially the tie cuffs.

You should have your comments sent to your email so you can just reply to me that way, in case I don't check your post. If you go into your account, there's a way you can do it. It's great, so that you know when someone comments.

 

|